NBA: Power Rankings (Week of 3/24/14-3/30/14)
Last week in the NBA we saw Kevin Durant score 51 points in a 2OT victory over the Raptors, the 76ers lose their franchise-record 24th consecutive game, and the Denver Nuggets snap the Clippers 11-game winning streak. Here are this week’s power rankings:
1. San Antonio Spurs: 53-16; Last 10: 10-0; Streak: Won 13 (Last week: 2)
The Spurs rested Tim Duncan and Manu Ginobili against the Warriors on the road and still won their 13th straight game. This team is deep and ready to make a long playoff run.
2. Los Angeles Clippers: 49-21; Last 10: 9-1; Streak: Won 1 (Last week: 1)
The Clips finally had their winning streak snapped last Monday against the Nuggets, but are still firing on all cylinders and will be getting J.J. Redick back from injury very soon.
3. Oklahoma City Thunder: 51-18; Last 10: 7-3; Streak: Won 3 (Last week: 3)
The Thunder was trailing the Raptors by 5 late in 2OT before Kevin Durant brought OKC back from the dead to defeat them by one. Oh yeah, he scored 51 points, had 12 rebounds, and had 7 assists too in the game.
4. Houston Rockets: 47-22; Last 10: 7-3; Streak: Won 3 (Last week: 5)
Dwight Howard has missed three straight games, but that hasn’t slowed down Houston one bit as they have won each of those contests.
5. Miami Heat: 47-21; Last 10: 4-6; Streak: Lost 1 (Last week: 4)
The Heat continues to be on cruise-control as they have no chance of being ousted from their number 2 seed in the East.
6. Golden State Warriors: 44-27; Last 10: 7-3; Streak: Lost 1 (Last week: 6)
The Warriors are hanging onto the 6th spot in the West and will only have 3 games over the next 10 days so their starters will have plenty of time to rest up.
7. Indiana Pacers: 51-19; Last 10: 5-5; Streak: Lost 1 (Last week: 7)
The Pacers will be facing the Heat twice more before the regular season ends in a very possible Eastern Conference Finals preview.
8. Dallas Mavericks: 42-29; Last 10: 6-4; Streak: Lost 2 (Last week: 9)
The Mavs are two games into their eight game home stand and have dropped both of them. Up next for Dallas are the Clippers and Thunder, so things could get interesting out there in the Western Conference standings this week.
9. Memphis Grizzlies: 41-28; Last 10: 7-3; Streak: Won 1 (Last week: 12)
The Grizzlies have been clicking lately, especially at home where they have won 9 straight in their own friendly confines.
10. Portland Trailblazers: 45-25; Last 10: 4-6; Streak: Lost 1 (Last week: 8)
Portland continues to slide down the standings and is now just 4.5 games ahead of 9th place. While that may seem like a lot of breathing room, we have seen crazier things happen… Then again it is March and who said the NBA couldn’t have some madness?
11. Chicago Bulls: 39-31; Last 10: 6-4; Streak: Won 1 (Last week: 10)
Since the All-Star break, Joakim Noah is averaging 14ppg, 10.5rpg, and 6.8apg, yet the Bulls are only 7-5 in the past month.
12. Toronto Raptors: 39-30; Last 10: 6-4; Streak: Won 1 (Last week: 11)
Even though they dropped a tough game against OKC in 2OT, the Raptors continue to reign down on their Eastern Conference foes and will more than likely have home court in the first round of the playoffs.
13. Brooklyn Nets: 37-31; Last 10: 8-2; Streak: Won 4 (Last week: 14)
Jason Kidd can finally breathe a sigh of relief after being on the “hot seat” earlier on this season because his team has been playing some great basketball since the beginning of January.
14. Phoenix Suns: 41-29; Last 10: 6-4; Streak: Won 3 (Last week: 15)
From last place in the West a year ago to just outside the playoffs with 12 games remaining… It has been quite a year for the Suns,
15. Washington Wizards: 36-34; Last 10: 5-5; Streak: Lost 1 (Last week: 13)
The Wizards hold the 6th spot and in my eyes the last of four safe playoff seeds in the East because no one will want to play Miami or Indy in the first round.
16. Minnesota Timberwolves: 34-34; Last 10: 5-5; Streak: Lost 2 (Last week: 16)
The Timberwolves blew a 22-point lead over the Suns on Sunday and lost the game 127-120. They are in no-man’s land in the West and will look to rebuild this offseason.
17. Charlotte Bobcats: 34-36; Last 10: 7-3; Streak: Won 1 (Last week: 17)
The Bobcats start this week with some momentum after destroying the Trailblazers 124-94 in which Al Jefferson had 28 points and 6 assists.
18. New York Knicks: 29-41; Last 10: 8-2; Streak: Lost 1 (Last week: 18)
The Knicks defeated the Sixers by one point on Friday before collapsing in the second half to the Cavs on Sunday. They come into the week only three games behind the Hawks for the 8th seed.
19. New Orleans Pelicans: 29-40; Last 10: 6-4; Streak: Won 2 (Last week: 19)
Anthony Davis is a bright spot for the Pelicans in their first year with the most embarrassing nickname in the league.
20. Atlanta Hawks: 31-37; Last 10: 5-5; Streak: Lost 2 (Last week: 20)
Kyle Korver is out with a back injury, so it will be interesting to see how the 8th seed Atlanta Hawks can adjust to losing their sharpshooter.
21. Denver Nuggets: 32-38; Last 10: 6-4; Streak: Won 1 (Last week: 22)
J.J. Hickson is the latest Denver player added to the list of players out for the season.
22. Cleveland Cavaliers: 27-44; Last 10: 3-7; Streak: Won 1 (Last week: 21)
The Cavs have not only lost Kyrie Irving for the next two weeks, but they have also lost five straight home games after being right in the playoff chase a week ago. Ouch.
23. Sacramento Kings: 25-45; Last 10: 4-6; Streak: Won 1 (Last week: 23)
The young players on the Kings continue to develop, however it feels like that’s all that has happened in Sac-Town over the past couple years. Maybe next year is the year the Kings get out of their woeful play.
24. Boston Celtics: 23-47; Last 10: 3-7; Streak: Lost 1 (Last week: 24)
The Celtics clinched their first 0-15 road record against the Western Conference in franchise history with their loss to Dallas.
25. Utah Jazz: 23-47; Last 10: 2-8; Streak: Won 1 (Last week: 25)
Just 12 more games Jazz fans. Just 12 more.
26. Los Angeles Lakers: 23-46; Last 10: 3-7; Streak: Won 1 (Last week: 26)
On the bright side, they are a half game above the Jazz for the worst record in the West. It should be interesting to see how the Lake-show rebuilds.
27. Detroit Pistons: 25-44; Last 10: 2-8; Streak: Lost 5 (Last week: 27)
The Pistons have lost 13 consecutive road games now, but will need to continue their losing ways if they want to keep their top-eight lottery protected pick in the draft.
28. Orlando Magic: 19-52; Last 10: 1-9; Streak: Lost 9 (Last week: 28)
BREAKING NEWS: The Orlando Magic is attempting to add more games to their schedule that they can purposefully lose to catch up to the Bucks and Sixers for the worst record.
29. Milwaukee Bucks: 13-57; Last 10: 1-9; Streak: Lost 7 (Last week: 29)
Milwaukee is finally catching on to what the Sixers are doing and are two games “ahead” of them for the worst record in the league.
30. Philadelphia 76ers: 15-55; Last 10: 0-10; Streak: Lost 24 (Last week: 30)
Philly is now two games away from the NBA record for consecutive losses.
*Bolded teams would be playoff teams if the season ended today.